Monday, August 15, 2011

I heart my CF Friends and Community

This weekend was by far one of my favorite weekends of the summer. It reminded me so much about the community I’ve been a part of the last 14+ months. It all started Friday, after working out and coaching the 6PM class, Jer and I headed out to CF Carbon to support fellow CFers putting themselves through a grueling WOD called “The Seven” to honor those SEALS recently killed. This is what makes me proud to be part of the community. Those SEALS and all other military personnel put themselves out there and risk their lives for us, the least we can do is work out in their honor. I got there in time to watch the last two heats go through the WOD. A little over 30 people worked out while many of us supported from the side. I thought about putting my workout clothes back on and going through the WOD, but it looked awful. Next time we have a group hero WOD, I’m for sure in. Anyway, I’m proud of those that did participate in this workout and paid their respect to those who had fallen!

Afterwards, a large group of us went out to On the Border for dinner and some drinks. It was great times catching up with people I haven’t seen in awhile. Great stories told, many disturbing comments shared, and many laughs had by all. What a fantastic group of people that I’m glad I can shares times like this with! I hope to have many more times like this in the future.
It was a little hard to get out of bed Saturday morning and head to the Fort, but as always, I headed on over for a great workout. I started the morning by getting dunked and my body fat % measured. My result was 21% and I can say I’m fairly happy with that. My diet has been far from optimal in the last few months, so I’m sure it could’ve been even better than that. I would’ve liked to see where I was when I first started to compare, but this gives me a base to start and improve from.

I then worked on just some snatch progressions with the bar, tall muscle snatch, hang snatch, muscle snatch to quarter of a squat and then muscle snatch as deep as I could. I’m basically working on this to get a good bar path, strong pull, and the correct placement overhead. I tend to throw the bar too far back and lose my balance. The team challenge was a good one where everyone did the same amount of work. It ended up being around a 42:00 WOD for my team. I also tore my right hand, so hopefully that won’t affect me too much this week!

Saturday night, Jer and I headed over to Season’s for a bbq and to watch the Lakemoore fireworks. I was a little worried they were going to be cancelled due to the weather, but instead they started an hour late. Which felt a lot later than 10:30 since I was so tired from the busy week. This was also another great night with some fantastic people!

Sunday I had my second cousins 1st birthday party in St. Charles, then we headed over to Pete and Ivy’s for Ivy’s birthday bbq! Another great get together with my CrossFit friends. More stories shared, great food, more laughs and good times had by all!

All in all this weekend reminded me of the community outside the Fort. The CF community is growing rapidly and I want to be able to experience it. I’m happy that I’ve continued my friendships with the people who have started their own adventures or gone to other boxes because it’s more convenient locations or to their lives etc. I’m glad that I partake in events such as Friday’s Hero WOD, it gives me the opportunity to meet other people, gauge my athletic ability with others outside the Fort, catch up with friends I don’t get to see that often, and just have a good time. I’m looking forward to all the events coming up and hope that more people will step out of their comfort zone and experience everything that is out there.

1 comment:

Jennie Foreman said...

You always have such great things to say Kirsten- love reading your blogs! I am proud to be a part of a community that includes people like you and Jer and everyone else there Fri and Sunday night. Even though Im in my own little bubble over in Arlington Heights, I love meeting people from Carbon and Fire and participating in events like Friday night... it makes me proud to be a Crossfitter!