Tuesday, May 3, 2011

End of the Open Wods


Well, it’s another new month. Does anybody else feel like 2011 is flying by?! Anyway, the month of April pretty much rocked, obviously because I was clearly too busy to write about it. So I’ll update you now. It all started when my Victoria’s Secret, secret reward card turned out to be worth $100, instead of the measly $10 they usually are. Yep, that’s how I knew it was going to be a fantastic month. Then every Saturday, I rocked the Open Wods with my fellow CrossForters, well most of them. I had some job interviews lined up, but then one Friday afternoon my boss called me to her office and I got offered a FULL TIME position, so I am no longer on contract and officially started Monday. Hello pay raise, I love you. Went to a Cubs game with some friends. Jessica visited. Went to visit Jason and Lydia in Charlottesville and Jason is now Dr. Glaw, so proud of you! I won the Better Body challenge at the Fort, which was $480 and a free month! Woot, hard work does pay off! And to finish it I ordered a Ford Fiesta, expect to see me in my new ride in like 6-8 weeks. BOOM! So THAT was the majority of my month of April Awesomeness!

So obviously with all that craziness going on I haven’t spent any time on this blog like I would like to. And I feel like that’s also part of the reason my dedication to paleo has trailed and my more often than not indulgences in sweets has taken over. If I write it here, I am more accountable for it and feel like I have to own up to my words and you guys will make sure I stick to it. So starting today…again, it’s back to the paleo, no sweets bandwagon. See that’s my thing, when I ‘cheat’ or indulge as I would like to call it, it’s never on pizza, or carbs or stuff like that, it’s always the sweets. Ugh, they just taste so good. But anyway, if I want to keep making gains in the gym and seeing my body composition improve I need to not be so lazy with my diet. Diet is 80% of it, and it’s definitely shown over the last few weeks that I’ve been slacking. If and when I do indulge, I need to make sure it’s only once, not some here and there over multiple /daysweeks. That’s my problem, I feel like everyone else can indulge and enjoy it and it doesn’t affect them, so it won’t affect me. Well not the case whatsoever. You think I would know that by now. Anyway, back on track today. Along with slipping on desserts I have not stuck to the 100 day challenge. I think I stopped around day 25, how pathetic. I want to attempt something like this again, but actually stick to it. I also need to actually write down my goals and post them at the Fort. I have them on a piece of paper in my book but not the purple shiny paper for the board. So I have all these plans and damn I need to get focused and going on them. I think I’m going to hold off on another ‘challenge’ and focus on doing some extra stuff after working out at the Fort, I really want to get a ring dip and random stuff like that so time to buckle down and get focused.


I decided not to update you all on every wod from the last…um I don’t know four weeks and just update you on the last 4 Open wods. And then I’m going to attempt to write more religiously like I was at the beginning from here on.

Saturday April 9, 2011

Games Open Wod 11.3

5:00 AMRAP of Clean (must squat below parallel) & Jerk @ 50kg

Each clean is a rep and each jerk is a rep, but must com

plete a clean and jerk before moving to the next clean. If you fail overhead you can power clean then get it overhead. Total = 13 reps

I think I totally beat myself up before this wod even started…my max jerk at the time was 55kg from a few months back, and I just screwed myself over before Saturday, probably by Wednesday I was convinced it just wasn’t going to be a good one…and the ‘practice’ wod (Be-Rad’s bday wod) on the Thursday before, convinced me even more that it was going to be bad. I probably spent 2:00+ trying to get that 7th jerk. I had about 7 cleans in the process…if only those counted… I also caught one of the cleans funny and at the moment didn’t know what I did to my thumb but all I felt was a burning

pain sensation and I was already so frustrated it just was not going to happen. In the end I think I just jammed it, but I would be lying if I said I wasn’t scared I tore something.

I immediately fell to the ground once the 5:00 was up, I was so frustrated and upset with my performance and just started crying. Between being upset and worried about my thumb/hand, I was a wreck. Thank you to all of the CrossForters that came up to me after and encouraged me that I did great and gave it all I had. It was hard to put up such an awful score, but I came away with a lot from that wod. I think it really helped me toughen up and opened my eyes to the big picture. I can’t really explain it, but even though that wod brought me down to nothing, I think it was a good kick in the ass to snap back to reality.

Saturday April 16, 2011

Games Open Wod 11.4

10:00 AMRAP of: 60 bar facing burpees 30 OHS (40kg) 10 Muscle ups total = 80 reps

My initial thoughts when I saw this wod posted the Tuesday night before was “MU’s!!! wtf?!” I definitely expected to see some v

ariation of pull ups on the bar before muscle ups ever showed up in the open. Then the more I thought about it, I realized that I may not even get to the muscle ups, I was just praying to finish the 90 reps of burpees and OHS. So…the 60 burpees were really easy for me, I kept a steady pace throughout and finished them in about 4:30-4:45. The rest of my time was dedicated to the OHS. After the burpees I was slightly dizzy and my shoulders/arms were just super tired. 40kg is pretty heavy for lots of reps, but I was reaaalllly hopi

ng to finish them. I tried snatching the bar overhead and going straight into the ohs, but then realized how weak my arms were and I got it in the rack position, then had to adjust my hands to pop it over to my back, then adjust my hands again to pop it over head. It was a long process, but I couldn’t snatch it up. I got the first 4-6 reps unbroken, then dropped it and decided to kick off my inov-8s and go in my socks. Then I picked the bar up again and got 2-3 reps. My arms were so shot it was hard to keep that bar up overhea

d. So after that it was 2-3 reps until time was over and I got 20 of the 30 ohs. I was a little bummed, but I knew there wasn’t more I could do, I knew I gave it my all and felt better about it. Like I said, the week prior taught me a lot! As long as I could leaving saying I gave it my all, that’s all I could do and I was happy with that!

Saturday April 23, 2011

Games Open Wod 11.5

20:00 AMRAP of: 5 power cleans (45kg) 10 Toes-to-Bar 15 Wall Ball Shots 14# to a 9’ target Total = 250

I had two thoughts going into this wod, 1) 20:00 is an eternity 2) I hate toes-to-bar. I have the endurance to last 20:00, I just thought that this workout is going to get super boring and by 8 minutes in I’m going to want it to be over. Toes-to-bar aren’t my strong suit because I can’t kip them and string them together well. On a good occasion I can string two together then do one then two more etc. but more often than not these were singles. That clearly ate up the majority of my time. It was a total grip killer. Given the fact that I knew T2B were going to suck, I had to make up for it by doing all the

wall balls unbroken as well as my cleans. My cleans were by no means fast and I didn’t rep through them as quickly as I would like. And must I say, I’ve never grunted so much during a wod before. But heck, it helped get those cleans up! :-) My Wall balls were all unbroken every round so I was very pleased with that. In the end I was happy with my performance even though the 20:00 seemed like forever.

Saturday April 30, 2011

Games Open Wod 11.6

7:00 AMRAP of 3 thrusters (30kg) 3 chest to bar pull ups 6 thrusters 6 c2b pullups 9 thrusters 9 c2b pullups etc. keep increasing by 3's total = 12

Going into this wod I have never gotten a c2b pullup so I was expecting to only get the first 3 thrusters. I spent nearly 5:30 minutes working to get those 3 c2b pullups but I gave it all I had and FINALLY got them, and then 6 more thrusters and a couple attempts at another c2b, but time had run out. Either way, I'm glad I didn't give up and just kept trying to get those pullups. Now I know I need to work on my dead hangs more as well as some c2b on the side.


I'm glad I went through the 6 weeks of the Open. I learned a lot from myself and from everyone else going through this with me. I couldn't have been happier to experience this with all the people I did. However, I'm glad it's over and we will be going back to our regular team Saturdays. And I can't wait to either be part of or watch our team compete at Regionals! :)

No comments: